Slow-braised Beef Stew with Mushrooms
- 4 lbs. boned, fat-trimmed beef short ribs or chuck
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- About 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 lb. mushrooms sliced from top to bottom
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 premade pie crusts
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
- 2 cups of rice
1. Rinse off meat and cut into 1-2 inch cubes, and then place in your slow cooker.
2. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan, combine onion, 1 cup broth, wine, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha sauce and spices. Bring to a boil over high heat. Pour liquid over meat. Turn slow-cooker to high, cover, and cook until meat is very tender when pierced, 5 to 6 hours.
3. Rinse and drain mushrooms. Thinly slice mushrooms from top to bottom and saute in butter in small batches at a time. This helps them from getting soggy as they’re sauteed.
4. Ladle 1 cup liquid into pan with mushrooms. Stir mushrooms often over high heat until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are lightly browned, 13 to 17 minutes.
5. With a slotted spoon, lift meat from juices in slow-cooker and lay in a single layer in a shallow casserole (about 9 by 13 in.). Pour mushrooms over meat. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
6. To prepare the sauce, pour remaining liquid from slow-cooker into a deep sauce pan. There should be more than 2 cups of liquid. If not, add enough broth until it measures around 2 cups. I eyed this from the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce for about 8 to 10 minutes. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup water. Pour into boiling liquid and stir until thickened, about 30 seconds. Pour evenly over meat and mix gently to blend with liquid in casserole, adding salt and pepper to taste.
7. At this point, I added a premade pie crust on top of the casserole. I enjoyed the flavor and texture that this added to the recipe.
8. Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until pie crust is browned and the juices are bubbling, or around 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Serve stew with hot cooked rice or mashed potatoes. I made both so we had the option and it’s delicious with either.